The main principle of origami is folding the paper along straight lines in all directions – the resulting planes are only superimposed symmetrically. One of the origami shapes is… paper boat. How to make it?
Paper boat as an element of origami
History tells us that as early as the ninth century various forms and shapes of paper were created, while the girls were playing with a paper frog. So there was an element of fun. Almost every Japanese can conjure up a fantastic world of animals and other characters or objects from a piece of paper; under dexterous fingers come to life, taking on real shapes. What can be extracted from a piece of paper actually depends on fantasy and knowledge of folding rules.
In Japan, origami art is very popular among preschool and school children. This art is increasingly used in classes with sick, physically and mentally handicapped children. Origami is also a great memory gymnastics for older people affected by sclerosis. Please remember that origami is primarily a beautiful form, so do not worry about the lack of special, elegant paper, it is enough if you have a cheap notebook with colorful cutout paper. You just need to give each carton a square shape, preferably 15 cm x 15 cm, and start folding.
How to make a paper boat
Folding paper boats is great fun for the whole family. Especially if you later organize real sailing regatta on the water.
- Step 1 – Lay the paper on the table with the patterned side up. Fold in half lengthwise and unfold again.
- Step 2 – Fold in half lengthwise and leave folded.
- Step 3 – Fold the top two corners to the middle fold line to form a triangle at the top.
- Step 4 – Fold the paper at the bottom towards the bottom of the triangle. Turn the paper over and repeat this step from the other side. Now separate the sides in the center and lay flat to form a rhombus.
- Fold the corners under each other.
- Step 5 – Fold the bottom point from the front to the top point. Turn the paper over and repeat this step with the bottom point below. Now there is a triangle again.
- Step 6 – Pull both sides away from each other again, exactly in the middle of the front and back, and lay flat to form a diamond.
- Step 7 – Now carefully pull the top two points apart to create a paper boat.
- Step 8 – Flatten all folding lines and slightly expand the bottom area so that the boat can stand alone.
The paper boat can be used in many games and activities. It’s the perfect idea for boredom, fun for children or simple practices before learning the art of origami. Origami not only allows you to create fantastic objects and shapes, but also gives you the chance to develop your skills. In addition, by spending time with your child you can learn a lot from each other and do something constructive. The origami boat is extremely easy to assemble, you will definitely not have a problem with it.