Not every business is similar; if businesses don’t stand out, they lose their competitive edge. Enter: Custom web application development – which involves creating customized software or applications based on the specific needs of businesses, organizations, or even individuals.
Now, you might be wondering why is there a need to build a customized application when there are multiple solutions already available on the internet. Doesn’t it sound like an extra expenditure in a business environment where preserving unnecessary costs is key to staying competitive?
Read on ahead as we answer these questions and explain how custom web applications are used, what are their examples, and why there is an overwhelming demand for them.
Why Is There A Demand For Custom Web Application Development?
To quickly answer the questions above: custom web applications aren’t extra costs but rather they can save businesses a fortune! Which is why the global custom web application development market is expected to reach a whopping $432.8 billion by the year 2025. This is because custom web application development offers numerous benefits such as:
- Can meet specific demands of an organization (or individual) such as automating tasks, improving efficiency, or providing a better user experience.
- Offer a competitive advantage by developing features and functionalities not offered by the competitors.
- Improve efficiency by automating tasks and/or providing the right kind of information to users when they need it, so they can focus more on strategic tasks instead of repetitive tasks.
- Provide better user experience because many off-the-shelf applications rarely have an intuitive UI (user interface).
- Offer better security for businesses that handle sensitive data and can not rely on third-party services or storage.
How Are Customized Web Applications Used?
Customized web applications are all around us and used for a variety of purposes, some of these include:
- Inventory management, customer relationship management, accounting, invoicing, and more.
- Employee training, event planning, and collaboration.
Workday is another cloud-based human capital management (HCM) system that is popular in this category.
- Personal finance management, shopping lists, and daily planner for individuals.
Mint is one such personal finance management app that helps users track their spending and budget, and save money.
- Schools require customized web applications for student registration and scheduling.
Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) that is used for student registration, scheduling, and coursework.
What Type Of Web Applications Can You Develop For Your Business?
Web apps are easy to use and manage, and when they are customized according to specific needs, they become highly potent. Here are 5 types of web applications you can custom-make for your business:
- E-Commerce Sites – these are developed for companies selling products online or require an online store. These can be customized to add essential features such as shopping carts, payment gateways, search engines, and more.
- Content Management Systems (CMS) – popular CMS apps, such as WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla, allow you to manage your website’s content in one central location.
- Social Networking Websites – a personalized social networking website where employees can connect through various activities such as messaging, commenting, and sharing content can be used to provide regular updates and even promote employee morale.
- Mobile Apps – these can be used for everything from ordering food online to streaming 4K movies and tv-shows.
- Web Service – these run on a browser by using server-side code, so minimum computations are handled by user devices. The advantage is that the users don’t have to download anything locally or need powerful devices. Google Docs is a popular example of a web service.
Web applications are all around us; and if you look closely, most of these have characteristic features that make them stand out – hence, customized web applications.
Customized web applications can help businesses stand out and can reserve a user-base indefinitely. And with the advent of cloud computing (a term that has been mentioned a few times in this blog), developing and deploying web applications has become a piece of cake.
The article was written in cooperation with the experts of SoftKraft – Custom Software Development Company